Immediate steps to provide safe drinking water
May 27, 2016
Portland Public Schools is taking immediate steps to provide safe drinking water to all students, faculty and staff, following tests at two schools that show lead levels that exceed the federal Environmental Protection Agency maximum contaminant level.
- Drinking fountains in all Portland Public Schools will be shut down by 10 pm tonight, and closure signs posted before the start of school Tuesday morning.
- All Portland Public Schools will have supplies of bottled water for all students, faculty and staff for the remainder of the school year.
- The District’s nutrition services department will use bottled water for all food preparation, and will use disposable plates and utensils for the remainder of the school year.
- Comprehensive district-wide water lead level testing will continue as planned this summer, with results shared with the public. Fountains, sinks, and fixtures will not be put back into service until water lead level test results meet or exceed the standard.
- Portland Public Schools is working with Multnomah County to provide on-site blood lead level screening for Creston and Rose City Park students starting the week of June 6.
- Additional information regarding blood lead level testing will be provided to all PPS families.
For more information on getting your children tested for lead, please talk to your child’s doctor. Or, find a free lead screening clinic near you (from Multnomah County, ages 6 and under).
Bottled water will be provided by the district for the remainder of the school year, but we encourage you to send your child to school with water from home in a water bottle. We will also provide bottled water at the King School Carnival on June 3.
Para más información sobre como obtener sus hijos exámenes de niveles de plomo en la sangre, por favor hable con su médico. O encontrar una clínica cerca de usted sin costo (en el Condado de Multnomah, 6 años y menores).
Agua embotellada se prestará por el distrito para el resto del año escolar, pero te animamos a enviar a su hijo con agua de una botella reutilizable. También ofrecemos agua embotellada en el carnaval el 3 de junio.